You are here: Home > Blog > How our neighbourhood has changed
24th April 2019
How our neighbourhood has changed
We have some talented local people with an interest in the history of our neighbourhood. Deen Manning has been creating some short videos, showing how historic views have changed, with surprisingly little development, apart from the arrival of the motor car.
Bishopthorpe Road looking south, at the corner of Norfolk St, in 1911.
Queen Victoria St in South Bank, at the corner of Albemarle Terrace, with a tram. This service ran from 1913 to 1935.
The off-licence at the corner of Ebor St and Bishopthorpe Road in the 1930s, now Costcutter. Note the tram fitting up above.
Bishopthorpe Road at the corner of Butcher Terrace, looking north, around 100 years ago.
St Clement's Church, at the corner of Scarcroft Road and Nunthorpe Road,1874.
The corner of South Bank Avenue and Bishopthorpe Road. At this time, in 1932, it was a newsagent but it used to be the lodge for the big house, Nunthorpe Hall.