Clements Hall
Queen Victoria St  with tram

Clements Hall Local History Group

Exploring the Scarcroft, Clementhorpe and South Bank areas of York

Clements Hall Local History Group

Exploring the Scarcroft, Clementhorpe and South Bank areas of York

View navigation

Clementhorpe Brewery

 The Brewery and its site had a complex history [1]:

  • The brewery at Clementhorpe was established sometime before 1825 by partners John Fryer Kilby and Henry Heffill.

  • In May 1825 a new partnership was established between Henry Heffill and William Tyler.

  • This partnership was dissolved in 1828.

  • In 1830 the brewery was in the ownership of Christopher Scarr & Co. Christopher Scarr's home was at 8 South Parade.

  • On 20 July 1833 the Yorkshire Gazette recorded a court case in which the plaintiff was one Caleb Fletcher of the Clementhorpe Brewing Company “which carries considerable trade in the neighbourhood of York.”

  • In 1843 the premises were listed as ‘Fletcher & Scarr, Clementhorpe Brewery’. Fletcher may have been a porter dealer in North Street.

  • By 1849 it is listed as ‘Christopher Scarr & Co., brewers & maltsters, Clementhorpe Brewery’.

  • In 1854 the Clementhorpe Brewery was taken over by Howe & Cooper of the Friargate Brewery.

  • In 1855 Howe & Cooper, brewers, maltsters & spirit merchants, were operating breweries at both Clementhorpe and Friargate.

  • In 1861 an advertisement referred to 'extensive freehold premises at Clementhorpe...formerly used as a maltkiln and brewery and now in the occupation of Messrs. Calvert and Company, iron foundry contractors...'

  • In August 1875 the Friargate Brewery and its 12 houses was taken over by Hotham & Co., brewers, of George Street, Walmgate.

  • In 1884 Hotham & Co. changed its name to the Tadcaster Tower Brewery.

 Just to complete the story…

  • Calvert & Co bought the brewery site around 1858 to expand from their Lendal Bridge ironworks but quickly ran into financial difficulties and went bankrupt 1862.

  • In 1865 it was said to be opening as a factory for patent nails.

  • About this time the site was bought by Joseph Terry & Sons Limited to expand from their St Helen's Square premises.

  • The site is now occupied by the houses and apartments of The Postern.

 This story shows just how complicated a history many of the sites in York have had.

[1] We are indebted to Michael Mackintosh for much of this story.