24th August 2013
From the late 1930’s to the 1970’s it was the Co-op. Remember Divvy? It morphed into Beejay’s and then Jacksons during the 1980’s and 90’s. The above photo was taken in 1998.
If we time travel back to 1893, William Hutchinson and Sons, family grocer, tea dealer and provision merchant, were putting up banners on the street outside their premises at no 1 Scarcroft Road. They traded at 1 Scarcroft Road until around 1901 and sadly they went into liquidation in 1906.
This advert is from Steven’s York Directory of 1881 -1882 – 1 Scarcroft Road is not mentioned – it is likely that they started to trade there in 1892.
In 1893, Hutchinsons were in fine form for the visit of the then Duke and Duchess of York to York. They clubbed up with their neighbour across the road to decorate the entrance to Scarcroft Road with what the York Herald describes as ‘crimson drapery’. Scarcroft Road and Bishopthorpe Road were on the royal route round the city. William Hutchinson’s partner in this royal frivolity was Dr Alwyn Raimes, who lived at 2 Scarcroft Road and seems to have had his GP surgery there. This is where the statue, green and car park are now. Which leads us to a mystery……..
The picture below was taken in August 2013, just as Evolve the hairdresser’s were planning to open in new premises on Bishopthorpe Road.
The following photo shows the houses which used to front Bishopthorpe Road, which were later demolished – this area is now the car park. No 2 Scarcroft Road is presumably the house on the left? It’s listed in the Electoral Register up to 1969, does anyone know what happened with this building?