Clements Hall
Queen Victoria St  with tram

Clements Hall Local History Group

Exploring the Scarcroft, Clementhorpe and South Bank areas of York

Clements Hall Local History Group

Exploring the Scarcroft, Clementhorpe and South Bank areas of York

View navigation

Welcome to the new Corner Gallery

The Corner Gallery, on the corner of Scarcroft Road and Nunmill St, has recently had a facelift and changed hands.

Kay Dower outside her new gallery (courtesy of York Press)

Artist Kay Dower has taken over from her former tutor Andreas Jaroslavsky, but the gallery continues to operate as a combined working art studio and shop. As well as paintings she is selling ceramics, collages and photography, and hosting children’s art classes.

(courtesy of York Press)

This shop at 9 Scarcroft Road has seen many changes in the last 100 years. In 1895 it housed George Thomas Newbald, a draper, who by 1905 had moved to the other end of the row, at no 1, where Sainsbury’s is now.

He was replaced at no 9 by a tailor, William Bell, who, at 42, had only been married to his wife Nellie for four years. They also occupied 2 Nunmill Street, round the corner.  You can just make out his surname ‘Bell’ on the door on this photo.

nun-mill-street

From the mid 1930s the shop was a fruiterer’s, first Bellamy’s, then Carr’s, then Baker’s. By the 1980s it was Gordon and Jane David, who many people will remember, especially as they still have a greengrocer’s stall in the Shambles Market.

In more recent times it housed the Good Food Shop, with Caroline Lewis, who moved over with her deli to Bishopthorpe Road in 2005. Until Andreas moved in around 2010 there were a few shorter term shops here, including Matthew Quinn, an off licence selling wines, spirits and beers. Can you remember any more?

 Scarcroft Road shops in 1984, where the Private shop later became the Hospice charity shop (courtesy of Rob Stay)

The above photograph shows the two adjacent shops in 1984, The Warm Shop, which sold wood burning stoves, and The Private (Adult) Shop, which was the subject of a feminist campaign around 1980.

The Corner Gallery under previous ownership