Bishy Road: a York shopping street in time
Updates and errata
p.66 The following entry was unfortunately omitted in the production process
No 8 Bishopthorpe Road
Currently Rainbow House
In 1901 this was a stationery and newsagent’s shop, run by Walter Hick, but very quickly became a wardrobe dealer, Sarah Dawson, from around 1909 until at least 1913. It then seems to have reverted to a private residence, until in 1935 it became a Chinese laundry under Fong Cheong. In 1937 there was a brief interlude with Mrs Redpath also selling art wools from the address. It appears that Fong Cheong moved his laundry to 2a in 1938 and Hom Song took this laundry over, from around 1939. Fong Cheong was naturalised in 1952 from his Blossom St residence. No. 8 remained a Chinese laundry till 1971 and became a Chinese takeway in 1973, the York Garden Restaurant, with Hom Song living there. In 1975 it became the Sang Lung Chop Suey Bar, take away-cooked meals shop, and around 1990 it was renamed the Rainbow House, and is still a Chinese take-away shop today.
p.74 Bishopthorpe Road Pharmacy now closes on a Saturday afternoon.