Clements Hall
Queen Victoria St  with tram

Clements Hall Local History Group

Exploring the Scarcroft, Clementhorpe, South Bank and Bishophill areas of York

Clements Hall Local History Group

Exploring the Scarcroft, Clementhorpe and South Bank areas of York

View navigation

Bishophill and education

A number of schools were sited in Bishophill in the 18th/19th century:

  • Friends School for Girls opened in Trinity Lane in 1785, closed in 1814 and moved to Tower St. Regarded by some as a predecessor of The Mount School.

  • Dodsworth’s Free School for Boys, Bishophill Junior, 1803, next to the church and celebrated for educating John Snow. One of three founded in York by York ironmonger John Dodsworth, who died in 1813. He had a warehouse in North St. The school closed before 1870. Now residential, with inscription ‘School House 1803’.

  • Bishophill British School for Girls opened in 1829, on unused land in the Friends Bishophill Burial Ground, supported by Quakers but open to all. Closed in 1896

  • Albion St Wesleyan Boys school. Opened 1840. Closed and moved to Priory St Chapel in 1858

  • Finally Manor National School was sited in Priory St Methodist School after WW2, after their Marygate building was destroyed by enemy action. It continued there until 1957.

See https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/yorks/city-of-york