Bishophill: civic and regional authority
The area was a centre for local and wider government in past times:
King's House Toft Green est by 1130s, was a meeting place for local Barons. Attacked 1214-16. Then abandoned and known as King's Tofts, then given with Chapel of St Mary Magdelen to Dominican Friary 1227
The Council chamber/town hall was sited on Ouse Bridge in late medieval York, for example in 1376
Modern City of York Council Offices are housed in what was the old Railway Station in Tanner Row.
There have been times when local people have fought hard against local government plans, for example Bishophill Action Group campaigned successfully in the 1970s against the proposed demolition of housing in Buckingham St, for the construction of a multi-storey car park.
We have not yet identified any particular connection with suffragettes in Bishophill, but it may well be worth exploring.