Clements Hall
Queen Victoria St  with tram

Clements Hall Local History Group

Exploring the Scarcroft, Clementhorpe, South Bank and Bishophill areas of York

Clements Hall Local History Group

Exploring the Scarcroft, Clementhorpe and South Bank areas of York

View navigation

Important houses and architecture in Bishophill

There are many important features and buildings in the area, such as

  • Old Baile/Baile Hill Old Baile built 1068-9 by William 1

  • The medieval City Walls

  • Victoria Bar, originally known as Lounelith 1180-1200, then Victoria Bar opened 1838-40, supported by George Hudson as Mayor at the time. Smaller arches added later

  • Micklegate Bar c1154-89. A long history of Royal welcomes through here

  • Medieval church cottages in North St next to All Saints Church in North St

  • 29 Trinity Lane late mediaeval

  • Cransfields, St Martin's Lane late mediaeval

  • Jacob’s Well, Trinity Lane: Late 15c, enlarged in Tudor period

  • Bishophill House, Grade II listed, at 11 and 13 Bishophill Senior. Early 16c extended 1740.

  • Buckingham House, built for the Fairfax family in 1642, north of St Mary Bishophill Senior churchyard, on the site of earlier Thwaittes house. Thomas Fairfax was a famous Civil War general. Replaced by Buckingham Works in 1856, which closed in 1939

  • The Old Rectory, Victor St, late17th century, Listed

  • Bathurst House, built on Micklegate in in 1727 for Charles Bathurst, High Sheriff of Yorkshire

  • Thompson House, Micklegate, built 1727

  • Micklegate House, built on Micklegate in 1752 for John Bourchier of Beningbrough prob by John Carr. Now holiday accommodation

  • John Carr architect built his own house on Skeldergate, which survived until 1945

  • Gray's Court, Micklegate by 1843

  • Toft Green Chambers, ca 1845

  • Walker’s Horse Repository, ca 1850 at Tanner Moat. Later Botterill’s. Demolished 1962. A multi-storey accommodation with a spiral ramp, for horses and carriages, with these available for hire. Three storeys with Moorish style of architecture. Horse auctions held there later. Ground floor arches still there, now Arup.