The gardens of Bishophill
Despite now being completely developed, mostly for housing, in the past there were several gardens in the Bishophill area
Friars Gardens 1694, later the old Railway Station
Trinity Gardens ex Trinity Yard 1694. These were next to Holy Trinity and sold for redevelopment in 1850. Trinity Lane before mid 16c was the main link between Micklegate and Bishophill.
James Backhouse (1794-1869) was a Quaker missionary, botanist and nurseryman. In 1815 he moved to York where he and his brother, Thomas, purchased the York nursery business of John and George Telford, at Toft Green. Some of our members are now exploring the Backhouse history.
Bishophill Community Gardens is on the site of St Mary’s Church Bishophill Senior, which had been demolished in 1963. The garden project was launched by Pete Kilbane in 2010, and has regular working parties and events organised by the Bishophillbillies.