Clements Hall
Queen Victoria St  with tram

Clements Hall Local History Group

Exploring the Scarcroft, Clementhorpe, South Bank and Bishophill areas of York

Clements Hall Local History Group

Exploring the Scarcroft, Clementhorpe and South Bank areas of York

View navigation

Historic hotels of Bishophill

There were a number of historic hotels in the area, some of which were also public houses. Much of the accommodation was aimed at commercial travellers and businesspeople. 

Scawin’s Hotel

 

This was York’s first Railway Hotel, which opened in 1841 next to the old station. It was bought by Sarah Scawin in 1842 and known as Scawin’s long after she sold it in 1869. It was bought by NER in 1892/3 for their new offices on the site. Ian Tempest has researched this hotel.

 

The old Station Hotel

 

Opened in 1853 across the head of the railway lines in Station Rise, the architect was G T Andrews. It was the first hotel to be incorporated into a railway station. Added Royal after a visit by Queen Victoria. When the new station opened outside the walls, this building was converted into offices. (A new hotel opened in 1878 next to the station). Ian Tempest has researched this hotel.

George Hotel

 

The George Hotel was built at what is now 37 Tanner Row in June 1855. A five storey building including the basement, it was described as a red brick palazzo, and known as Winn’s George Hotel after the manager. In 1861 its tenant became John Holliday who renamed it Holliday’s North Eastern Hotel., after the railway company. By 1899 this in turn was also bought by the North Eastern Railway to provide temporary office accommodation. The original building is to the right of the main entrance – four bays to the left were an early extension. Current tenants are English Heritage. Listed building

 

Adelphi Hotel, Micklegate, later the Railway King

 

The Adelphi at 26 and 28 Micklegate was a temperance hotel, built in 1851 on the site of a very old 17c pub, the Royal Oak. It was sold in 1880 and then gained a licence. It incorporated nos 1 and 3 George Hudson Street. Renamed the Railway King in 1971, and later became Edward’s, then Reflex, now Popworld. Grade II listed. Ian Tempest has researched this hotel.

 

Lady Anne Middleton’s Hotel

 

Lady Anne House was originally Lady Anne Middleton’s hospital in the mid 17c. The hotel was established here in the 1970s and extends across six different buildings: Lady Anne House, Cromwell House, Chaplin House, Sir Joseph Terry Cottages, No.56 Skeldergate and The Organ Factory. All historic Grade II or Grade II* listed buildings. Ian Tempest has researched this hotel

 

The old Queen’s Hotel, Micklegate

 

The old Queen’s Hotel was sited at the corner of Micklegate and Skeldergate. It was replaced in 1990 and now houses Sainsbury’s, Reeds Rains estate agents and Langley’s solicitors. The redevelopment was carried out in the face of great opposition, following explorations of the site believe to be the old Roman forum in York. Ian Tempest researched this hotel.

 

Bar Hotel, Micklegate

 

Opened 1861 as a hotel. Changed to Scruffy Murphy’s in 1996, then The Micklegate.

 

Commercial Hotel, Tanner Row

 

An unlicensed boarding house first, in 1872, then by 1893 a temperance hotel. Its licence was not renewed in 1907, and it was demolished soon after, to facilitate the laying of tram lines between Railway St (George Hudson St) and Rougier St.

 

Great Northern Hotel, George Hudson St

 

Opened in 1852. Changed to The Pageant in 1966 then back to Great Northern in 1884 and Merlin’s in 1994. Later Nexus nightclub and then Club Salvation. About to be changed to a restaurant and holiday accommodation.

 

Victoria Hotel, Railway St

 

Mentioned in 1857. Closed 1970.

Viking Hotel, North St now Park Inn Radisson

 

Built in 1969 and refurbished several times.

Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, Station Rise

 

Hotel opened in 2010, in an Edwardian building, the former HQ of North Eastern Railway. The NER opened their building in 1906, designed by William Bell.

 

 

See also

Hugh Murray A Directory of York pubs 1455-2004 (Voyager, 2004)

Bill Fawcett ‘A History Of North Eastern Railway Architecture Volume 3: Bell And Beyond (North Eastern Railway Association)

Murray, H, Nathaniel Whittock’s Birds Eye View of the City of York in 1850 (1988).

Royal Commission on Historical Monuments of England (1972). An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west. London: HM Stationery Office.