Clements Hall
Queen Victoria St  with tram

Clements Hall Local History Group

Exploring the Scarcroft, Clementhorpe, South Bank and Bishophill areas of York

Clements Hall Local History Group

Exploring the Scarcroft, Clementhorpe and South Bank areas of York

View navigation

The streets of Bishophill

(together with the streets within the walls to the west of Micklegate)

Street

Origin

Albion St

Laid out ca 1815

All Saints Lane

Used to be Church Lane from pre 1852

Baile Hill Terrace

Land sold in 1882 so after then

Bar Lane

Bar Lane prob by 1694. Named by 1852

Barker Lane

Ex Gregory Lane c1230

Bishophill Senior/Junior

Littlegate ca 1161-84 referred to both St Martin's Lane and Bishophill Senior.

Bridge St formerly New Bridge St

Used to be part of Micklegate. 1822 New Bridge St. By 1842 it was Bridge St.

Buckingham St

1851-61

Carr’s Lane formerly Kirk Lane

Ca 13c. led from Skeldergate to St Mary Bishophill Senior

Church Lane, North St

By 1852. Now All Saints Lane

Cromwell Rd

Jail Lane by 1830, after Gaol. Now Cromwell Rd

Dewsbury Terrace/Court

Between 1851-67

Fairfax St

1860s

Falkland St

Land sold in 1882 so after then

Fetter Lane also Scrivener’s Court

From 1280

Scrivener's Court by 1830

George Hudson St, formerly Hudson St and Railway St

Hudson St b1841-3 as approach to the Old Station. Named Hudson St by 1852 but reverted to Railway St soon after. Reverted again to GHS in 1971 on centenary of his death.

Hampden St

1860s

Kyme St

Land sold in 1882 so after then.

Micklegate

Also Kilvington’s Passage, Bulmer Place, St John’s Court, Gray’s Court, Ashelby Court

Micklegate 1161-1184. Means large. Big wealthy houses first, then by 1800 more shops. Micklegate Bar c1154-89. Kilvington's Passage by 1852

Newton Terrace

Land sold in 1882 so after then

North St, also North St Row. Also Cross Keys Passage, Wellington Row

North St by 1090. North St Postern by 1421  Demolished 1840. Replaced by new gate built by GNER for access to coal yard. Tower built after 1315, still survives. Wellington Row formerly North St Row. Named 1822

 

Priory St/Lower Priory St

Besingate poss 1080 Lower Priory St and

Priory St between 1851-67

Prospect Terrace

Poss between 1851-67

Queen’s Staith and Queen’s Staith Road

Queen's Staith from 1822 formerly New Staith from 1726.

Queen's Staith Rd by 1851

Rosemary Lane

Before 1823

Rougier St

By 1846, named after a family of combmakers who had a local factory. Simpson's Row, Queen St, Calvert's Ct and North St Row belong to same.

Skeldergate also Coat’s Buildings

By 10c. Named after shieldmakers, or possibly ‘upskell’, to unload.

Smales St

There in 1901

St Martin’s Lane

Littlegate ca 1161-84 referred to both St Martin's Lane and Bishophill Senior.

Tanner Row/Tanner St/Tanner’s Moat

Also passages Simpson’s Row, Queen St, Providence Place, Albion Row, All Saints Court, Calvert’s Court off the Moat. Church Lane

Tanner Row formerly Barker Row. Part of North St in Middle Ages. Barker Row from 1524. Tanner Row 1574

Tanner's Moat mentioned 1421, inner moat of wall next to Barker Tower

Providence Place by 1852

Simpson's Row by 1852. Prob after Mayor Sir John Simpson 1836.

Toft Green

Toft Green 1227. Next to King's Tofts. Various uses. HOC built over 1814 then station now Council offices.

1840s market garden businesses at Toft Green.

Trinity Lane also Union Court

Before mid 16th c

Victor St, formerly St Mary’s Row

St Mary's Row formerly Lounlithgate 1180-95. 1811 probably the earliest small, terraced houses in York, mostly after 1850. Victor St by 1890.