Clements Hall
Queen Victoria St  with tram

Clements Hall Local History Group

Exploring the Scarcroft, Clementhorpe, South Bank and Bishophill areas of York

Clements Hall Local History Group

Exploring the Scarcroft, Clementhorpe and South Bank areas of York

View navigation

Bishophill and religion

The Bishophill area is full of churches, with a number of outstanding mediaeval examples. There are also later churches, built to cater for the expanding 19th century non-conformist population.

 

Churches still existing 

Holy Trinity Church, Micklegate and Vicarage (also Christ Church and St Nicholas’s)

Founded before 1066. Listed in Domesday Book. Later became a Benedictine Priory. Church built on the site.   

All Saints Church and Shrine, North St

Mentioned 1086.

St Mary’s Church, Bishophill - Junior

Mentioned 1194.

Q Church, Priory St

 

Built in 1856 as a Methodist Wesley Chapel, which closed in 1982. More recently the Assembly of God Pentecostal Church (The Rock Church). Now Q Church.

York Baptist Church, Priory St

Opened in 1868.

St Columba’s United Reform Church, Priory St

 

Built for Presbyterians in 1879. Became part of United Reformed Church in 1972, and united with the New Lendal Congregational Church on this site in 1994

 

No longer a church or demolished

St Gregory’s Church, Barker Lane

Mentioned 1166-79. Demolished mid 16c as parish merged with St Martin.

St Martin’s Church, Micklegate

 

Mentioned 1170-1180. Merged with St Gregory’s Church in 1585, and with Holy Trinity in 1953. Now a stained glass centre.

St John’s Church, Ouse Bridge, Micklegate

Mentioned 1194. Grade II listed. Closed in 1934

St Nicholas’s Church, Micklegate Bar

Possible connection to Holy Trinity Church. Demolished.

St William’s Chapel, Ouse Bridge

Prob late 12c. Various uses later. Rem’d 1807/9.

Dominican Friary at Toft Green, with Chapel of St Mary Magdelen

 

Granted to friars from Kings Chapel of St Mary Magdelen in 1227. Destroyed by fire 1456 and surrendered 1538. Later The King’s House. Gardens until Old Railway Station built on site.

St Mary’s Church, Bishophill - Senior

Mentioned 1202. Demolished in 1963.

Albion St Methodist Chapel, Skeldergate

Opened in 1816 and closed ca 1861, to be replaced by the chapel in Priory St, as it offered more room. Demolished 20c.

Victoria Bar Primitive Methodist Chapel

1880. Listed. Now apartments

See also https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/yorks/city-of-york